Skip to main content

| Does The Internet Influence Your Mental Health? | 26/12/17 |

A F T E R N O O N

| SHOP MY OUTFIT: | COAT: New Look | TEE: Reserved | TROUSERS: New Look | TRAINERS: H&M |


The internet is such a strange world, and it is in fact its own world - so far from reality yet so close, it redefines society conceptually to be honest. The internet can bring such wonderful things into the world: the announcement of a new baby, an endless supply of fashion inspiration, the top news at the fastest rate, and so many amazing memories and conversations can be shared between the beautiful people on this planet. The internet is an extraordinary place, and even more so as someone who has grown up in this time of technology. I bloody love the internet and all it brings to the world, I honestly think the internet is such a great platform for humanity to connect, share and create.

However, I have been wondering my mind recently, quite intently, and have found myself shying away from the internet, and social media platforms. Despite the fact I have no huge following on social media, nor do I make any income from using the internet, I have still managed to intertwine myself in the negative light of the internet and feel pressure to have a specific internet presence. Instagram, mostly, is my point of issue.



Instagram provides so much content for their users, with new images every 5 seconds as you impatiently wait for your feed to refresh in your lunch break at work, but I think this has an affect on us Instagram fanatics, and not positively in terms of mental well-being. As receivers of so many messages via the internet (images, videos, memes, boomerangs) we are constantly being reached out to by brands and other internet users, which I feel must influence us mentally as so many messages are sent to our brains each day. Subconsciously, we are developing opinions, emotions and ideas about certain concepts we are exposed to, whether it be a fashion trend, a celebrity, or a friend from our childhood. This aspect of the internet is powerful, as our personalities are ever-changing to adapt to new trends and ideas. However, the repetition of these images or videos could highlight some issues. 

Now, I do not want to become controversial here to be honest, so please listen carefully. I fully believe that every internet user has a responsibility to decide how to portray themselves over the internet, and they also have a very important role of deciding who they associate themselves with. For instance, choosing who to follow and who to search for into the Instagram search, or Google, or Twitter. Therefore, we are subject to the choices we make, which consequently goes to show that our actions do have critical consequences that we must be prepared for, particularly in the virtual world. So, once you have built up your profile, and have settled in to the kind of posts you see day-to-day, and who you like/dislike on the internet, there evidently becomes a kind of routine of the messages you will be repeatedly vulnerable to. In context, as a fashion blogger, fashion student and all round fashion lover, I follow on Instagram a lot of fashion bloggers, supermodels, and fashion brands. Therefore, I am regularly looking at trendy clothing, and women who seem to have the 'perfect body' and perfect life. Obviously, this is probably not true, however because of their internet personalities, it is presented that way. ( I hope this is making sense)...

Over the past few months, I have struggled with feeling a bit down, and with a loss of self esteem/ low body confidence. I am aware that this is not a permanent issue for me, and it can easily be resolved. But, whilst thinking deeply about why I feel this way, I figured a huge aspect of this could potentially be the internet and more specifically Instagram. I spend at least an hour a day scrolling through Instagram, looking at women with incredible bodies and great fashion sense, who are travelling all over the world and wearing gorgeous makeup each day. Now of course I love to see these things as they interest me, but I do feel as though subconsciously these messages have been effecting my mental health quite significantly. So I just wanted to use this post as a chance to say hey, and as a gentle reminder for all of you to ensure you are looking after yourselves, and not jeopardising your mental health via your internet use. I love the internet and it offers society so much, but just remember, sometimes you may need a little break from all the fashionistas in the world, and all of those people you are inspired by. Take a bit of time for yourself, and make yourself know that you are worthy, and beautiful, and good enough always.



Sending so much love to you all and wishing you a very Merry Christmas & New Year

Peace out x


'I look to her in the simplest, smallest moments, when she reads or drinks coffee or brushes her teeth and I am breathless, knowing it does not take a million dollar telescope to witness the crushing beauty of the universe.' Beau Taplin / Telescopes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

| The Floral Dress | 17/10/17 |

G O O D  M O R N I N G Morning guys. This post is the final one displaying the photos from my first ever fashion shoot with  Now Photography  so I hope you enjoy as there will be more to come. I truly loved my first ever shoot and so I have decided to continue with this format of blogging. I feel as though I can maintain the personal and intimate side of my blog, while displaying some better quality images that provide a much better representation of the look I aim to achieve, and the details of my styling can be more accurately portrayed.  - OUTFIT - Dress:  ASOS Fishnets:  ASOS Boots:  New Look As you can probably tell, this blog post is entirely central to this gorgeous ASOS number. The floral dress of dreams. Whilst it may not be the simple 'little black dress' that is desirable in everyone's wardrobe, I feel as though this makes me feel just as good. The fit, the pattern, the button detailing and the almighty swish that t

| Keeping Thing's Simple | 26/05/17 |

HEY DUDES... I have been loving this change of weather this week; the continuous downpour of rain was just beginning to dampen my mood (pun very much intended), but now that the sun is shining, I feel very much refreshed and ready to provide summer content for you funky lot.  Before I get cracking, how do we all feel about money? Personally, I find money, and the absence of , utterly stressful. Since leaving home, I've felt overwhelmed at times with the responsibility of handling money; ensuring I have enough money to pay bills on time and so that I never run out. As a student, obviously this can be overbearingly painful at times as student loans aren't the most generous. However, I would honestly love to know if this is it now, for the rest of time, am I going to spend my entire existence feeling concerned about what's in my bank?!?!?!?! WILL THE PAIN EVER END?! Anyway, before I give myself premature grey hair and wrinkles, let's get on with things...

Awkward trousers and cats?!

Happy Fashion Friday!  I actually feel like I've not posted in so long... It's only been a week though. Hmm.  So today I thought I would share with you something I've had for a while but it seems is coming back into fashion; flares! I bought these trousers from Asos just under a year ago, and I've not worn them too often, partly because they're such an awkward length that I'm never certain what to wear them with, but also because they're quite adventurous I feel. Since flares are coming back into fashion, these lovelies need to make an appearance!!  I'm going to say these trousers are essentially boot cut length, however I feel they are more like ankle swingers haha! They are undescribably comfortable, and the D ring belt pulls them in at the waistline so they're not sluggish - but stylish! Furthermore, I think in order for you to pull off flares, you need to tone everything down and make your trousers the ultimate statement and prominent aspect of y